For 2019 you want “to get fit”. But what does that even mean?
“This year I’m going to get fit”.
We’ve heard it all before. Many of us have said it ourselves many times before. But let’s pause for a minute to ask what we even mean by that? What are we actually trying to achieve?
Different things for different people
“Getting fit” will mean all sorts of different things to different people. For a clinically obese person, “getting fit” will most likely mean dropping a significant amount of body fat to get their weight in a healthier range. But for a scrawny guy, “getting fit” will probably mean putting on some weight, albeit ideally mainly muscle mass. Then for an ever-injured footballer, “getting fit” could mean to rehab their injury and to address any physiological weaknesses in order to get back playing again.
So, really what I’m saying, is that I can’t emphasise enough how important it is to be specific when it comes to our health and fitness goals.
SMART Goals
Let me bore you for a second and remind you that “specificity” is a component of our SMART goals acronym. Goals should be:
Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Timely
Being specific
So, how about we change “I want to get fit” to “I want to lose body fat”. Now let’s make it SMART:
Specific: I want to lose 20lbs of body fat.
Measurable: I will weigh myself each week.
Achievable: Yes, 20lbs over 12 months allows for a rate of conservative fat loss, and leaves time for any periods of stalled weight loss, plateaus, or relapses!
Realistic: Yes, 20lbs over a year is certainly doable. I will aim for roughly 2lbs of weight loss per month.
Timely: I want to achieve it over 12 months.
You should do the same!
Now, that looks a bit better, doesn’t it! Now do the same for your own fitness goal for 2019.
https://howistayfit.com/training/home-workout-14/ No Gym? No Problem! Scapula Compressions admin 22/01/2019 No Gym? No Problem! If you wanted to do a home workout, you are in luck! I have created a series of videos showing exercises you can do with no equipment. Sometime it’s not so easy to get to the gym. Or you might find yourself away, travelling, etc. But the exercises I will be sharing in this video series fit into a home workout perfectly! Scapula Compressions Read more: https://howistayfit.com/training/home-workout-14/#ixzz5dNWUTS5m Follow us: @DanMarashi on Twitter | dan.marashi on Facebook
https://howistayfit.com/focus/fear-of-failure-rant/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRl_JMSj0mc&feature=youtu.be Dan’s Fear of Failure Rant Dan’s Fear of Failure Rant – random thoughts from the kitchen! Too many people waste their potential in life… a deep topic here! Clearly this dieting is taking it’s toll right now haha! It’s true though. It absolutely kills me how many people I see waste their potential. This isn’t limited to fitness! People’s fear of failure paralyses them in all areas of their life! They are scared to even try something in case they don’t succeed. Successful people are often idealised for their achievements. But what you don’t hear about is how many times they had to keep trying and failing in order to succeed! There are no larger restraints on our potential than those we place on ourselves! Be amazing. Be awesome! Get in the game. Have a go at least. And if you get knocked down, learn ...
“Starvation Mode” It is quite likely that you have come across the term “starvation mode” before. If you are dieting and exercising, but you are not seeing progress, then a common self-diagnosis is that your body has gone into “starvation mode”. In this post I am going to reassure you that this is simply not the case! Read on! Here’s a common scenario You were trying to lose weight, so you decreased your calorie intake and stayed disciplined to your workout routine. You were happy to see your bodyweight readings going down, and your physical appearance was beginning to look slimmer and leaner. Then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, all progress appeared to stop! You didn’t cheat on your diet. You didn’t skip any workouts. So, you do what most of us do when we have a problem. You search online. You talk to your friends. And you soon come to the conclusion that you are not losing weight because ...
Comments
Post a Comment