Skip to main content
https://howistayfit.com/diet/reverse-dieting/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTQNF5AZR4k&feature=youtu.be

Reverse Dieting


Now that Operation Get Dan Diced has ended, and I achieved my goal of super low body fat, what am I doing now?
The answer, is Reverse Dieting.  See the video here:

What is Reverse Dieting?

Reverse Dieting is, as the same suggests, reversing the dieting process by increasing food intake.
Through the process of me dieting down to super low body fat, I was week by week either gradually dropping calories, or gradually increasing exercise volume.
Reverse Dieting, is quite literally the reverse of this process.  So, over the coming weeks, I will be gradually, week by week, either gradually decreasing the exercise volume, or gradually increasing calories.
Reverse Dieting

Why not adjust both exercise and calories at the same time?

It’s quite simply not necessary.  All you need are small changes and minor adjustments to get the body to respond the way you want.  When dieting for example, I want to be creating enough of a calorie deficit to be losing body fat.  If I can achieve this by slightly increasing my exercise volume, why would I decrease my calorie intake at the same time?  Likewise, if I opted to lower my calorie intake, I would have no need to also increase my exercise volume simultaneously.  And this applies to reverse dieting too.  Only change one variable at a time.  Little by little.

Why use Reverse Dieting?

The reason, is to minimise fat gain.  The reality of dieting, is that your body’s metabolism slows down.  Because of the fact that to lose fat, you have to be consuming less calories than your body needs, your body recognises this.  It “thinks” it is being starved (which essentially, it is).  Therefore, your body will try and combat this by becoming “more efficient” at performing physical activity, so that it preserves calories.  This is great for survival, but not so much for fat loss!
So, now that I have achieved my body weight goal, and now that I no longer wish to be dieting, I have to give my metabolism time to adapt.  Otherwise, if I were to immediately significantly decrease my exercise volume and increase my food intake, my current slow metabolism would happily store all of these extra calories as body fat.
Reverse Dieting

Why not just stay at my current levels of exercise and calorie intake?

In theory I could just stay at the same volume of exercise and the same calorie intake that I was at by the end of the diet.  But in practice, it just isn’t possible, plus I wouldn’t want to!  The amount of exercise was so much that it just wasn’t fun anymore, and it took up so much time.  And the calories were such a struggle to stick to by the end of the diet, that I have no doubt that I could not adhere to it much longer!



Read more: https://howistayfit.com/diet/reverse-dieting/#ixzz5WAtMLINr 
Follow us: @DanMarashi on Twitter | dan.marashi on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Gym? No Problem! Scapula Compressions

https://howistayfit.com/training/home-workout-14/ No Gym? No Problem! Scapula Compressions   admin   22/01/2019 No Gym? No Problem! If you wanted to do a home workout, you are in luck! I have created a series of videos showing exercises you can do with no equipment. Sometime it’s not so easy to get to the gym. Or you might find yourself away, travelling, etc. But the exercises I will be sharing in this video series fit into a home workout perfectly! Scapula Compressions Read more:  https://howistayfit.com/training/home-workout-14/#ixzz5dNWUTS5m   Follow us:  @DanMarashi on Twitter  |  dan.marashi on Facebook

Dan’s Fear of Failure Rant

https://howistayfit.com/focus/fear-of-failure-rant/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRl_JMSj0mc&feature=youtu.be Dan’s Fear of Failure Rant Dan’s Fear of Failure Rant – random thoughts from the kitchen! Too many people waste their potential in life… a deep topic here! Clearly this dieting is taking it’s toll right now haha! It’s true though.  It absolutely kills me how many people I see waste their potential. This isn’t limited to fitness! People’s fear of failure paralyses them in all areas of their life!  They are scared to even try something in case they don’t succeed. Successful people are often idealised for their achievements.  But what you don’t hear about is how many times they had to keep trying and failing in order to succeed! There are no larger restraints on our potential than those we place on ourselves!  Be amazing.  Be awesome!  Get in the game. Have a go at least.  And if you get knocked down, learn ...

“Starvation Mode”

“Starvation Mode” It is quite likely that you have come across the term “starvation mode” before. If you are dieting and exercising, but you are not seeing progress, then a common self-diagnosis is that your body has gone into “starvation mode”.  In this post I am going to reassure you that this is simply not the case!  Read on! Here’s a common scenario You were trying to lose weight, so you decreased your calorie intake and stayed disciplined to your workout routine.  You were happy to see your bodyweight readings going down, and your physical appearance was beginning to look slimmer and leaner.  Then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, all progress appeared to stop! You didn’t cheat on your diet.  You didn’t skip any workouts. So, you do what most of us do when we have a problem.  You search online.  You talk to your friends. And you soon come to the conclusion that you are not losing weight because ...